December 07 - 11, 2015
Call for Preliminary Nominations for Pakistani Delegation
Asian Science Camp-2014 (ASC-2014) will be held at The Nanyang Technological University, Singapore from 24th to 29th August, 2014. The ASC-2014 is organized by the Institute of Advanced Studies (IAS) at Nanyang Technological University with strong support from the Lee Foundation, the Ministry of Education and the National Research Foundation, Singapore. The National Centre for Physics (NCP), Islamabad is the “Focal Point in Pakistan” for selection of Pakistan delegate to the Asian Science Camp and the undersigned is acting as “Contact Person in Pakistan” for the Program of Asian Science Camp-2014.
Other details of ASC-2014 and the procedure of selection, Click here.
Preamble on Asian Science Camp
- The ASC is an annual forum which aims to enlighten those science-talented youths through discussion and dialogue with top scholars in the world and to promote the international friendship and cooperation among the best young students of the next generation in Asia. The participating students are those selected from High Schools and Universities (1st and 2nd year) who show keen interest and promise in science.
- The idea of ASC was first mooted in 2005 after the Lindau Science Meeting by Professor Yuan-Tseh Lee, the 1986 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, and Professor Masatoshi Koshiba, the 2002 Nobel Laureate in Physics. Modeled after the Lindau Science Meeting which has been held in Germany for more than half a century, the ASC provides a platform for dialogue and discussion between promising young talents and invited Nobel Laureates and Eminent Scientists. It also helps to develop international friendships and cooperation among Asian young scientists of the next generation
- Detector Assembly and Testing
- The ASC-2014 is 8th of the series, following successful Camps held at:
- Taipei (2007)
- Bali (2008)
- Tsukuba (2009)
- Mumbai (2010)
- Daejeon (2011)
- Jerusalem (2012)
- Tsukuba (2013)
ASC-2014 Organizers, Venue and Schedule
- The ASC-2014 is organized by the Institute of Advanced Studies (IAS) at Nanyang Technological University with strong support from the Lee Foundation, the Ministry of Education and the National Research Foundation, Singapore
- Asian Science Camp-2014 (ASC-2014) will be held at The Nanyang Technological University, Singapore from 24th to 29th August, 2014
- More information about ASC-2014 can be found here.
Role of National Centre for Physics (NCP) in Asian Science Camp
- The National Centre for Physics (NCP), Islamabad has been established on the lines of The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (AS-ICTP), Trieste, Italy
- NCP is the “Focal Point in Pakistan” for selection of Pakistan delegate to the Asian Science Camp
- Director Collaborations and Academic Activities, NCP is the “Contact Person in Pakistan” for the Program of Asian Science Camp-2014
Pakistan Delegate Participation Level and Advantage
- The ASC-2014 Organizing Committee has invited talented student delegates from Asian Countries including Pakistan for participation in the deliberations of the Science Camp at Singapore
- Maximum of eight (8) Pakistani students along with one accompanying person from Pakistan can attend to ASC 2014
- At ASC 2014, the Pakistan student delegates can look forward to Stimulating lectures by World-renowned Nobel Laureates and Eminent Scientists, Plenary sessions, Parallel discussion sessions, Poster presentations, Social activities and Sightseeing tours
- Participation is only through invitation<
- All nominations for Pakistan delegate are to be submitted to the ASC-2014 Organizers-Singapore only by the National Centre for Physics (NCP), Quaid-i-Azam University Campus, Islamabad
- The working language at ASC-2014 will be English
Who can Apply... Eligibility Criteria (Pakistani Students)
- Pakistani male/female students in natural sciences to be nominated for the ASC-2014 must be talented & outstanding regular students (with academic distinction in physics and chemistry, merit certificates, high grades etc.) from:
- High School/College Students (11th and 12th grade or 1st year & 2nd year students)
- University (3rd year and 4th year university students)
- Only science students with age group: above 16 years & up to 21 years and who are outstanding in the natural sciences (including Physics and Chemistry)
- For all nominated students, strong proficiency in oral and written English along with genuine interest in Science and Research is a pre-requisite
- Students must attain all the necessary permissions from their parents and educational institutions to attend the ASC-2014 event in Singapore
- Science students whose parents allow them to travel to Singapore with the Pakistani delegate and can also bear return air ticket for them (in case they do not get ASC-2014 fellowship)
As the participation in ASC 2014 is through invitation only, there will be no registration fee charged for delegates.
If selected and travelled to Singapore for the Asian Science Camp, the ASC-2014 Organizing Committee will provide the participants' living and local expenses associated with ASC 2014 during stay for the Camp.
Travel Assistance & Medical Coverage
ASC-2014 committee will not support the round trip airfare for the participants (other than those on the ASC Fellowship) and will not be held responsible for any medical expenses incurred by the participant during the Camp in Singapore
Selected students of Pakistan delegate will have to purchase suitable travel and medical insurance in their respective country before departure to Singapore
- All selected participants will be required to arrange for their passports at least four months before the event. The participant’s passport must be valid for at least six months after the ASC-2014 event date
- Nominees finally selected by the ASC-2014 Committee will also have to bear their Passport/Visa Fee (if any) in Pakistan
- All selected students will have to travel to Singapore by the same flight with the designated Team leader from NCP (Pakistan)
How to Apply
The interested students must apply through heads of institutes (High Schools, Colleges, and Universities).
Heads of institutions may submit (by email and fax) list of 1 – 2 student nominees relevant to the prescribed norms of eligibility criteria with due recommendation. Nominations must should include information as per following format:
Name of Student
Grade or Academic Class
Date of Birth
*E-mail & Contact Phone No.
|(say 2nd year or 4th year student)
* Contact phone of nominating teachers & parents is also required.
Nominations must accompany student’s grade/academic report, permission letter from parents duly signed & stamped by the nominating institution.
While nominating students, please assure that the nominee will be available for travel between 22nd to 31st August, 2014 to attend ASC-2014 event in Singapore.
Model Test Paper
Click here to download "Model Test for Selection of Pakistani Students Delegate to Asian Science Camp"
Short Listed Candidates for Test/Interview
Click here to download list of students selected for written test/interview.
Schedule of Written Test/Interview
Click here to know about the schedule of written test/interview.
Result of Written/Oral Test (Provisional List of Selected Students for Pakistan Delegate to ASC - 2014)
Click here to download the result.
Instructions for Preliminary Selected Eight Students of Pakistan Delegateto ASC - 2014)
Click here to download the result.
For Further Queries, Please Contact:
Collaborations & Academic Activities Department (CAAD)
National Centre for Physics,
Shahdra Valley Road, Islamabad, Pakistan
Fax: +92-51-2077395 E-mail: Website: www.ncp.edu.pk